Monday, February 9, 2009

Garden of Forking Paths 3

This website (http://www.cyberartsweb.org/cpace/ht/htov.html) doesn't have anything to do with Borges' story, but is rather about hypertext as a whole. It's essentially an overview of its nature and applications. The literature page (http://www.cyberartsweb.org/cpace/ht/htlitov.html) was my primary focus, for obvious reasons.

This whole thing got me to thinking about what I believe is called the "alternate universe theory," or something of that nature. As a dork since childhood, I was of course introduced to this basic concept via Star Trek: The Next Generation, but in the past year I've been thinking a lot more about it since reading Philp Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy, which references the infinite number of possible universes created when any person makes even the smallest decision.

I suppose one could create a narrative (I'm guessing it would almost have to be an online narrative) to represent this, with literally hundreds of different "forking paths," so to speak -- some story-altering, some completely (or perhaps just seemingly) innocuous. That would be an interesting experiement, but would also be massively time consuming.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to reading some of the stories.

    ReplyDelete